Sunday, April 6, 2008

Decision Making 2008


Do we realize in a day how many decisions are made? Recently, our family has been back and forth with the deeply immense decision to put 9 years of faithful, fluffy, smart standard poodle to rest. Since Rommel's decline due to his now double issue with his hips, and now one knee, my husband and I have struggled daily for the past 2 weeks deciding what to do. Is the dog in pain? Well, we give him two pain medications; one acts like morphine and the other I have no clue. After 9 days of routinely, skillfully and sneakily hiding pills of different sizes in his american cheese slices, his attitude, I will call it, is noticeably brighter. Even though we must carry him up the 6 stairs to the house - of which he goes down as easily as ever - this is what we must do as pet owners. There is nothing wrong with Rommel other than his walking issues. I will leave it at that. The first week his head hung low, he was seemingly conscious of our discussions of the inevitable. He didn't even like to lift his head. Funny though- two days prior to our "cut off" day, he obviously made the decision to lift his head and get back in the game. He became more in tune with all of us. He started reacting to noises like he used to. He began to be interested once more in his life; accepting it for what it was now. He made the decision for us. We will wait, keep him on his medications and see how long he can go without injuring his hip or knee further. His decision led us to our decision for life. And the decision to do this was an enormous burden off our shoulders. It just wasn't the right time. We discussed this with every person we could find and all of them had experience in this predicament. "They will let you know." Not ever having to put down a pet, I was weary of this sage advise. I didn't know if I wanted to let our gorgeous 75lb beast to have to tell me how sick he was. But, alas, we will wait for that day.

Other decisions included in our lives the past several weeks have been either family oriented or work related. Family decisions have been: What shrubs were we going to find to work in our drought spent flower beds? What nursery would we go to? What kind of fertilizer do we use for our sorry excuse for a yard that has not been green in 4 years due to water restrictions? When should we get that 20,000 mile car inspection (the mechanics have been telling us for the last 3 oil changes we need to change the transmission fluids).
What hotel to get for my son's All State Honors Band Concert? When will my husband meet up with us? What should we do with the dogs? Who should take care of them? What is for dinner? What grill should we purchase? The list goes on for EVERRRRR~

The work related decisions are not just mine, but my customer's as well. I ask, "What do you need your invitation to say?" Then they have to make the decision, which apparently is not too easy. Then, they have to decide if my design is what they want. It goes back and forth. I sit here and am deciding right now if what I am
writing really matters to anyone out there? Or if it's just one of those insightful blogs that brings attention to our grinding, sometimes, boring, typical daily decisions, albeit tiny or life changing.

Should I start to write about my website?. ugh. duh! YES..so..

I have had some real fun making a special order invitation for my old sorority sister for her Kentucky Derby Run for the Roses Party. She asked me at our reunion in NOVEMBER to come up with an idea. Yikes, it has taken me that long to decided what to do for the design! Imagine! Fortunately, I was straightening my barn/studio (more like watching a cartoon where all you see is stuff that's not needed being tossed out the door!) and I ran across these great 8.5" x 8.5" white envelopes! They're in perfect shape and immediately thought of Dena's invitations. I love big invitations, especially for something as fun as the derby! I went online to locate mint julep cups, as I have never had nor seen one before, so I could create a rendition for this invitation. I found that these fabulous cups are all silver and have pretty beading below the rim and above the base, usually. So later, I started on the idea. I have loads of inks I use for my art. I dug a little further and found a pearlescent off-white..sort of silver-like ink. I mixed it at times with black and with chartreuse and i got this goofy looking, trying to be metallic piece of half-baked art. I thought it was going to be a redo for SURE. But, I made the decision to see how it would look to be scanned, and Photoshopped and made to size on that square format on which I was so interested and determined to put it! Well, my decision paid off! It looked pretty darned good for starting off as a mess. I added "beading" to the rim areas via Photoshop and cleaned up edges of which were not borders before. I added shading and a sprig of mint leaves and copy and as you can see for yourself, it's a lot of fun. It has power, just like the horses who run. Dena said she liked the pink and the red type and will use those two colors for the roses she will vase during her party.
I also wanted to make tribute to my all time favorite musical artist, Dan Fogelberg, who died of prostate cancer December 16, 2007. I will do so, with Dena's permission, on the back of the flat invitation. I am thrilled to be able to do this. I would like for you to click here to go to the Fogelberg Living Legacy website. It's incredible what that one man meant to so many. I have never experienced better concerts than his. My decision to remind us of this great musician, is a conscientious one, and one of which I am proud.
I guess I'll leave you all with this..

We all recognize making decisions is part of every day life. Make smart decisions-use your gut- it never lies to you. Smart decisions are learned from experience, mistakes, finances, and love. Teach your children how to make the wisest decisions they can and practice what you preach them! So now, I will wind this down quoting lyrics from Dan Fogelberg's old tune Lessons Learned:

Lessons learned are like bridges burned
you only need to cross them but once.
Is the knowledge gained
worth the price of the pain?
Are the spoils worth the cost of the hunt?

See you all later and be smart with the power of decision..it can make you or brake you.
Susie


1 comment:

Laura Bray said...

I recently blogged about our dog, Mary Ann who was put down almost 3 years ago exactly. He did tell me when it was time. You can read the post here:http://katydiddys.blogspot.com/2008/03/in-memory-of-mary-ann.html